WE Buchan worked with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) to help inform Australians approaching retirement and their financial advisers of the dangers of retirement planning schemes which encourage individuals to channel money inappropriately through their self-managed superannuation fund (SMSF). We developed a content-led campaign to help educate intermediaries and individuals on what to look out for and what to do if they have fallen prey to a risky scheme.
Tax avoidance schemes aren’t typically a topic that people actively engage with, as the communication can be quite complex and technical. The challenge for us was to develop a campaign that would attract the attention of pre-retirees and intermediaries alike, with simple, easy to understand language without diluting the critical messaging.
Insight & idea
- In collaboration with the ATO WE Buchan developed the “Super Scheme Smart” program to help create awareness of the schemes and to showcase the ATO’s ongoing efforts in protecting retirees from losing their nest egg by getting caught up in dodgy retirement planning schemes.
- “Super Scheme Smart” was designed for two separate target groups:
- Primary audience: ‘at risk’ workers approaching retirement and self-funded retirees
- Secondary audience: financial planners and tax advisers including professional and industry associations
- A multi-channel, multi-stakeholder communication plan was developed to promote the educational content and the ATO’s resolve and capacity to deal effectively with tax avoidance. The content-led campaign included:
- Information packs
- Social media content
- Website copy
- Media releases
- Case studies
Impact & results
- 4,741 visitors to the “Super Scheme Smart” page (as at 24 April 2017)
- 169 separate items of media coverage nation-wide, over two weeks
- Potential reach of almost 16.5 million people
- Overall share of voice was just over 98.94% with all coverage positive
- ATO cracks down on illegal self-managed super fund tax schemes – Sydney Morning Herald
- Tax Office warns retirees on illegal tax dodging schemes – ABC Radio and Online
- ATO announces crack down on Retirement Planning Schemes – Financial Planning
- Tax man targets super scammers – News.com.au